lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX: please say "THIS IS A TABLE!"

From: Jan Hlavacek
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX: please say "THIS IS A TABLE!"
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 16:50:40 -0500

On Sat, Mar 28, 1998 at 11:15:21AM +0000, David Woolley wrote:

> > Each table would be a list of rows.  Each row would be a list of cells.
> > If tables nest,  you would just get nested lists.  Rows and cells would
> > be clearly separated,  and the numbers would identify rows and columns.
>
> If you are tracking the rows and columns to this extent, you are probably
> most of the way towards implementing the proper HTML 4.0 speech support.
> All you then need is for someone to actually use <TH> properly.

I don't know what do you mean by tracking rows and columns.   What I was
proposing was basically change
<TABLE> ... </TABLE> into <OL> ... </OL>,
<TR> ... </TR> into <LI><OL> ... </OL>,
and both <TH> ... </TH> and <TD> ... </TD> into <LI> ...

OK, one would have to somehow deal with COLSPAN/ROWSPAN and so on.

This would display

<TABLE>
<TR><TH>Fruit<TH>Color<TH>Amount</TR>
<TR><TD>apples<TD>red<TD>2 lb</TR>
<TR><TD>peaches<TD>yellow<TD>3 lb</TR>
<TR><TD>cheries<TD>black<TD>10 lb</TR>
</TABLE>

as

1.
   1. Fruit
   2. Color
   3. Amount
2.
   1. apples
   2. red
   3. 2 lb
3.
   1. peaches
   2. yellow
   3. 3 lb
4.
   1. cheries
   2. black
   3. 10 lb

For such short table it doesn't look very good,  but it clearly
indicates the logical structure of the table,  and for tables with many
columns,  or with wide columns,  this would IMHO be much better than the
current mechanism,  since here we don't have problems with wraping.

lahvak
--
Jan Hlav\'{a}\v{c}ek
address@hidden  (Blind Carbon Copies will bounce)