lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Lynx question: frames and <object>

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Lynx question: frames and <object>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 08:45:04 +0000 (GMT)

> Lynx can put a note whenever it encounters <FRAME ..> and <NOFRAME>.
> Like:

> If <NOFRAME> doesn't exist 'Nothing in <NOFRAME>' can be printed. This
> could also explain the behaviour of Lynx for those who are not aware of
> the feature.

<NOFRAMES> is allowed on non-frameset pages by at least one draft of
HTML 4.0, and this works on MSIE 4, but strangely not on the Navigator
4, even though Netscape introduced frames.  It is potentially useful
for duplicating the contents of a frame within the main page, and I used
it to explain a wallpaper only initial frame, until I discovered that
it didn't work with Netscape.

If one is going to do anything, I would suggest saving the frames list
and outputting it at the end of the page.  However this is arguable, as
the browser insults will then come first on the majority of pages, even if
it makes well designed pages read more easily.

Unfortunately, the use of noframes for browser insults and advertisements
means that you can't automatically suppress the frame links.