lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV &UPPERCASE; <=> &uppercase ?

From: Heikki Kantola
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV &UPPERCASE; <=> &uppercase ?
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 14:46:58 +0200

According to Bill Hogan <address@hidden>:
>   I only did a cursory check but I did not find anything that said whether
> things like `&QUOTE;' are supposed to be case-significant.
>
>   Any comments?

Names of HTML (or should I say SGML in general?) entities are indeed
case sensitive, and in case of accented character entities the
difference is really significant as for example &auml; stands for 'ä',
while &Auml; is the same alphabet in capital form, 'Ä'.

If you see such misspelled entities like the &QUOTE; (should be:
&quot; (except in HTML 3.2 where that entity was left out because of
mistake, you still could use &#34; instead)), I suggest to politely
complain about that to the author of document in question.

--
Heikki "Hezu" Kantola, <address@hidden>
Lähettämällä mainoksia tai muuta asiatonta sähköpostia yllä olevaan