lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV help: finally!

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV help: finally!
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 09:32:38 +0900 (JST)

> Perhaps what is needed is a way to specify HELPFILE as an input to configure
> and then letting configure handle it. Maybe, instead, just an option to not
> modify the HELPFILE string when running make install-help. Maybe you'll all
> decide that my situation is sufficiently unique to not need supporting (though

Not unique at all, and you make a valid point (similar, but not exactly the
same as Larry's).  Lumping everthing under --libdir perhaps wasn't such a
good idea since it ties lynx.cfg and the help-file set together (also
lynx.lss?).  So I guess we need a --helpdir option rather than putting
everything under --libdir.

To fully support Larry's (and Philip's and I guess a lot of other people's)
desire for configure to handle everything, you would need two options for
each of these sort of files, one option to set the define for the location
which lynx will search on and thus will be compiled into lynx (formerly
possible only by editing userdefs.h), and another option to set the location
where the makefile target will install the physical file(s) (formerly done
by editing Makefile).  Another possibility which Philip suggested (I think),
is to not let configure override userdefs.h's define, but this then will
force people to go into userdefs.h, whereas now you don't have to.  OTOH,
having two options could be confusing if the person building did not
understand the difference between the two.  I'll let you guys slug it out.
I'm satisfied with work-arounds for now.

__Henry