lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV No Win16 version

From: Benjamin C. W. Sittler
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV No Win16 version
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 1998 12:49:02 -0700 (MST)

On 1 Mar 1998, Jason F. McBrayer wrote:

> BCWS> I'm getting an EMX/GCC development environment debugged on a
> BCWS> Win3.11 machine. Once I get that going, I should be able to
> BCWS> build a 32-bit lynx which runs under Win32s using the RSXWIN
> BCWS> extender. (In fact, the OS/2 EMX Lynx port might work.)
>
> Let me know how it goes.  I did the OS/2 EMX Lynx port, and I've
> always been curious as to whether it would work under RSXWIN or RSXNT.
> My feeling is that it won't for several reasons, not the least of
> which is that I have made no effort to deal with the user having short
> file-names.  Under OS/2 it requires HPFS, ext2-fs, or some other sane
> filesystem, FAT won't cut it.  Maybe with EMXOPT -t (truncate long
> file names) it would work; I don't know if RSXNT offers the same
> support.

The OS/2 lynx build does not work with RSXWIN or RSXNT under WfWg3.11 with
Win32s.

I'm still checking DOSPATH #ifdefs for those which apply to
Win32s/RSXWIN/EMX-GCC.

I got some simple sample apps to work, but I'm having a library problem
when trying to use networking. Perhaps this is the problem with the OS/2
Lynx as well.