lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV lynx - tcp/ip

From: Lloyd G. Rasmussen
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx - tcp/ip
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 98 09:50:21 EST

On Fri, 6 Mar 1998 12:42:10 -0100,
address@hidden  <address@hidden> wrote:

>I am a danish teacher, who has a little problem with Lynx. I have a
>blind pupil, who can not use Windows on her workstation. We get our
>TCP/IP-protocolstack within Novell Client32 and it works fine. Out
>of the house we have a permanent open connection, so that we don t
>need to dial up. We can ping any computer in the hole world. But
>Lynx.exe does not function. It tells us, that there is no
>ppacketdriver loaded, Which sounds strange.
>Can anyone help os please? It is very urgent for the blind girl.

Greetings from a Danish man (both sides of family) who grew up in
Iowa and uses Lynx under DOS with the Vocal-Eyes screen reader.

You need to clarify a couple of issues.  I assume you are using Lynx
under Windows 95.  If so, your student will need to be running the
Lynx/32 version that runs in a DOS box inside Win 95.  Either that, or
she has to be running Lynx/386 with a packet driver that looks like
Ethernet.  That's what I do here at work:  I use a program that makes
the IBM Token-Ring adapter look like an ethernet adapter, part of the
Crynwr Packet Driver set, and called ibmtoken.com, and run Lynx/386
under DOS 6.22.  To test Lynx/386, try it with the null packet driver
nullpkt.com, specifying that Lynx should load local files only using
the -localhost command-line switch.  It may be that with a couple of
shortcut keys, she could be running Lynx/32 from a DOS prompt within
Win95, without having to have a Win95 screen reader.

Another solution is to run a DOS communications program and have her
computer talking to another one that is actually running Lynx,
either by RS232 cable connection or by modem.

Let me know if any of this makes sense.

-- Lloyd Rasmussen
Senior Staff Engineer, Engineering Section
National Library Service for the  Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress          202-707-0535
(work)       address@hidden    http://www.loc.gov/nls/
(home) address@hidden http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/lras/