lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Tiny patch to fix HP-UX 10.20 + curses + 2.8.pre2

From: Jonathan Sergent
Subject: LYNX-DEV Tiny patch to fix HP-UX 10.20 + curses + 2.8.pre2
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 1998 03:30:05 EST

Sorry if this post is too wordy.

This bug looks mostly like a simple typo in aclocal.m4 in a workaround
for a weird HP bug (i.e. there is a typo not in the workaround but in
the configure code which can activate the workaround!).

The workaround for the bug in -lcurses is there but it was not
functioning right in the current autoconf script.  Not sure what
version broke this.  (The curses bug makes the darn thing dump core
(bus error) on startup, and the fix was in the old makefile from way
back -- pre-autoconf.)

BTW, I confirmed with a debugger that this is similar to the same
select() bug that the PROBLEMS file documents (if not the same).
I don't know anything about the patch mentioned there (just a student
user here, don't run these machines).  My arrow keys work too, though.

I found this in docs/CHANGES2.8:

1997-09-17
* Add configure test for HP-UX -lHcurses library. - TD

Did the configure test ever work?  Hmm.

It's all pretty much black magic to me what all of these different
curses libraries are for, but the the following fix (you can make it
by hand in the configure script just fine too) Works For Me.

Note I was using /bin/cc because it's much faster (the compilation
time, that is) on these machines.  I see no reason why gcc would not
work equally well, it certainly crashed equally ``well'' with libcurses.

Here's the piddly diff for aclocal.m4.

*** aclocal.m4.orig     Wed Mar  4 03:01:17 1998
--- aclocal.m4  Wed Mar  4 03:11:18 1998
***************
*** 265,271 ****
  freebsd*) #(vi
        AC_CHECK_LIB(mytinfo,tgoto,[LIBS="-lmytinfo $LIBS"])
        ;;
! *hp-hpux10.*)
        AC_CHECK_LIB(Hcurses,initscr,[
                # HP's header uses __HP_CURSES, but user claims _HP_CURSES.
                LIBS="-lHcurses $LIBS"
--- 265,271 ----
  freebsd*) #(vi
        AC_CHECK_LIB(mytinfo,tgoto,[LIBS="-lmytinfo $LIBS"])
        ;;
! hpux10.*)
        AC_CHECK_LIB(Hcurses,initscr,[
                # HP's header uses __HP_CURSES, but user claims _HP_CURSES.
                LIBS="-lHcurses $LIBS"

Can someone else with an HP-UX 10.20 box try this out?  Here is a
``hacked configure script diff'' (the configure file this makes is the
same that the above aclocal.m4 should cause autoconf to generate).
Remember to kill your config.cache before running this (-lHcurses has
no wborder() and your cache thinks it does if you have built with a
not-so-weirdo curses library).

*** configure.orig      Wed Mar  4 02:59:51 1998
--- configure   Wed Mar  4 03:11:32 1998
***************
*** 3429,3435 ****
  fi

        ;;
! *hp-hpux10.*)
        echo $ac_n "checking for initscr in -lHcurses""... $ac_c" 1>&6
  echo "configure:3435: checking for initscr in -lHcurses" >&5
  ac_lib_var=`echo Hcurses'_'initscr | sed 'y%./+-%__p_%'`
--- 3429,3435 ----
  fi

        ;;
! hpux10.*)
        echo $ac_n "checking for initscr in -lHcurses""... $ac_c" 1>&6
  echo "configure:3435: checking for initscr in -lHcurses" >&5
  ac_lib_var=`echo Hcurses'_'initscr | sed 'y%./+-%__p_%'`

Hope this helps, I'm anticipating the 2.8 release.  If you get it out
this week, they might install it here on campus over Spring Break
(next week).  I'm not holding my breath (that lynx-dev won't find
lots more bugs, or that the software people here will have the time).

Also, FYI, I have a confirmed curses build on HP-UX 9.01.  I'll try
some more platforms as time becomes available.

--
Jonathan Sergent / address@hidden