lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV No Win16 version

From: Benjamin C. W. Sittler
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV No Win16 version
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 18:46:31 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 28 Feb 1998, Wayne Buttles wrote:

> I noticed there have been a few new requests for a win16 version of lynx.
> I am not against this idea, but the project is outside my ability level.
> Since I have a very short memory I tested a Win16 compile of lynx again to
> remind me what the biggest problems are.
>
> First, there were all kinds of strange errors.  I'm baffled by most of
> them, however, this isn't really the biggest problem.
>
> With the compiler I have, the data segment of lynx exceeds 64k and this is
> illegal.  It is okay using the flat memory model of win32 or djgpp-386,
> but my borland compilers in Large Win16 mode won't do it.  If this is NOT
> an obsticle in other compilers I would be interested in knowing.  I never
> really learned to program on a non-flat memory model so I am clueless as
> to how to work around the problem.
>
> Well, thats that.  I just thought since I had forgotten why it is not an
> easy port, then most others would have as well.

I'm getting an EMX/GCC development environment debugged on a Win3.11
machine. Once I get that going, I should be able to build a 32-bit lynx
which runs under Win32s using the RSXWIN extender. (In fact, the OS/2 EMX
Lynx port might work.)

Possible obstacles: I don't know if the socket calls work with the Windows
extender.

I'll keep you posted.