lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV No Win16 version

From: Wayne Buttles
Subject: LYNX-DEV No Win16 version
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 19:53:14 -0500 (EST)

I noticed there have been a few new requests for a win16 version of lynx.
I am not against this idea, but the project is outside my ability level.
Since I have a very short memory I tested a Win16 compile of lynx again to
remind me what the biggest problems are.

First, there were all kinds of strange errors.  I'm baffled by most of
them, however, this isn't really the biggest problem.

With the compiler I have, the data segment of lynx exceeds 64k and this is
illegal.  It is okay using the flat memory model of win32 or djgpp-386,
but my borland compilers in Large Win16 mode won't do it.  If this is NOT
an obsticle in other compilers I would be interested in knowing.  I never
really learned to program on a non-flat memory model so I am clueless as
to how to work around the problem.

Well, thats that.  I just thought since I had forgotten why it is not an
easy port, then most others would have as well.

Wayne