lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV spacing problem (was msg00353.html)

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV spacing problem (was msg00353.html)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 21:05:41 -0500 (EST)

980224 David Eaton wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Philip Webb wrote:
> > it reminds me of the way in which collapsing  <br><br>  was introduced
> > in 2-6 or 2-7 (whichever it was) without warning, explanation
> > or -- it seems to me -- justification
> > (no-one has ever pointed out the location of this item in the HTML specs).
> How about this from the 3.2 spec:
>   Except within literal text (e.g. the PRE element), HTML treats
>   contiguous sequences of white space characters as being equivalent to a
>   single space character (ASCII decimal 32). These rules allow authors
>   considerable flexibility when editing the marked-up text directly.
> And since <BR> is defined as:
>   BR -- Used to force a line break. ...
> compressing out the multiple resulting newline characters
> from a <BR><BR> sequence makes sense to me.

thanx, finally, tho' it is rather buried away:
you have to connect  2  separate places in the rules.

there is an option ( lynx.cfg , i think) to keep multiple  <br>'s ,
which i use, but lots of sites out there treat  <br><br>  as  2  line breaks,
so it's partly another instance of Lynx needing to allow for crowd behaviour.
hence i'ld rather the Lynx default was `don't compress',
but don't want to contribute to putting off 2-8 indefinitely.

but the print screen problem should be corrected for 2-8, if possible.