lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Uh oh...

From: Filip M Gieszczykiewicz
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Uh oh...
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 14:45:56 -0600 (CST)

Ok. First things first. The script for dealing with bookmarks :-)
It won't be a "part" of lynx so only those [crazy] brave enough to
use it will do so. At _first_, no hacks to lynx are planned. That
will change when I hack the date-stamp. It WILL be configurable (and
OFF by default).  Provided I manage to hack it it will:

1) Munch with date-stamp. That means:
   * add date if none there - based on order in file, today, or input
   * delete all date "crap" and set "keep that crap out" flag :-)
   * touch dates
   * sort by date (and also alphabetically)

2) Deal with "expired" dates:
   * report to a file all those expired
   * delete expired or mark for a verify
   * seperate good/expired into different files

3) Repair/Import/Export/Consistency checks:
   * add/subtract dates, time-stamps
   * edit titles and URLs
   * remove markup IN URLs (if, say, importing)
   * import from ASCII file, HTML document, etc.
   * export to document (user-specified header/footer)
   * import/export from netscape and IE (and others?)
   * merge/seperate sub-bookmark files (maybe on "code" (below))
   * brute-force load with interactive correct...

4) Shuffle bookmarks:
   * allow for moving entries between sub-bookmarks
   * allow ranges/categories/codes (see #5) to be moved around

5) Other munching/hacks:
   * Insert a code (ie. a letter or series of letters) into the anchor
     (essentially the title) of the bookmarks SUCH THAT when it is
     merged with another file (say, all the bookmarks into ONE)
     it can be both seperated ON that code or at least recognized
     as belonging to a "category" (visually).
   * Use said code to allow for a better organization of entries:
     sorting ON code, exporting code(s), allowing modification of
     code, applying rules to expiry dates to change code, etc.
   * for those comfortable [lazy], allow for an automatic "expunge"
     expired to a sub-bookmark designated to hold those. Export with
     a code to allow easy "undo" into correct place. This can be
     something you can choose to run at login or from crontab...
   * more as I think of it and hack it in...

It looks like this may have to be perl... as I don't really want to
imagine what the pstree would look like for this monster if I tried
the usual shell+awk/sed/tr/cut/etc :-) Mind you, the script that
munches my HTML files for my whole website is, at WORST moments,
14 processes "deep"... and about [hang on] 12KB :-) There's
something asking for a perl rewrite if I've ever seen it ;-)

Of course, it's gonna be GNU so what I say is not the final word :-)

Take care.