lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx Installation

From: Dave Eaton
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx Installation
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 07:15:55 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 24 Jan 1998, Mr. Gijoy Zachariah Vypana wrote:

> problem enquired by me while installing Lynx on HPUX 10.10 machine ...

I have build 2.7 on HP-UX 10.10 for an HP InterWorks (now part of Interex)
user group effort. I'll put my notes which should help you below.

> I tried to retrieve it from <http://www.wfbr.edu/dir/lynx> which
> I couldn't get.

ftp://ftp2.cc.ukans.edu/pub/WWW/lynx/lynx2-7/lynx2-7.tar.gz was on-line
this morning ... you could try there, or follow the links from
http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/release/ for 2-7-2 (which I will try to build on
HP-UX 10.10 "in a bit".)

> I am trying to install Lynx version 2.6 on HPUX 10.10
> I used "make snake3" ...
> This is the Error being listed
> ===============================
>
> (Bundled) cc: warning 480: The -O option is available only with the C/ANSI C
> product; ignored.

I believe this is the crux of your problem ... HP has 2 C compilers ...  a
"bundled" one it ships will all systems so you can re-build the kernel
when needed and a different, far better but "for optional cost" compiler
which handles ANSI C (the "free" one does not.) It appears you are using
the bundled one.

You could try to get/install the ANSI C compiler or we can "talk" off-line
from this list and I can try to arrange a way we can get my compiled
version to you.

(BTW, that build is set up for installation into the now-more-standard for
HP-UX 10.X+ "/opt/lynx" directory, rather than "/usr/local/bin".)

If you do decide to continue to build it yourself, be aware that you may
be in for some other problems, too. From my "Notes" file:

2. Due to a bug in the delivered HP-UX curses package, this version of
   lynx was built with ncurses. In order to accomplish that, find the
   'snake3' portion of lynx2-7/Makefile and make it reference ncurses by
   changing to these lines:

               -DSNAKE -I../$(WWWINC) $(SITE_DEFS) -I/opt/ncurses/include" \
               LIBS="-L/opt/ncurses/lib -lncurses -ltermcap \

   (There may be other, better ways to do this, but this worked.)

3. To make it compile on HP-UX, make the following
   change to lynx2-7/WWW/Library/snake/Makefile:

    CFLAGS = -O -DDEBUG -DUNIX

... [deleted notes about changes for "/opt/..." install] ...

And just in case there are some Domain/OS users who read this far:

7. For those who still have Apollo Domain/OS systems and would want to use
   lynx 2.7 there, the original source would not have compiled since on that
   system S_IFIFO is the same as S_IFSOCK. To correct this, I made one
   additional change to prevent the S_IFSOCK code from being compiled on
   Apollo systems. For this fix, change the code in the S_IFSOCK area of file
   lynx2-7/WWW/Library/Implementation/HTFile.c to look like this:

    #ifndef apollo
    #ifdef S_IFSOCK
                        case S_IFSOCK: type = 's'; break;
    #endif /* S_IFSOCK */
    #endif /* apollo */

   This change neither helps nor hurts the HP-UX build.

Hope this helps,
Dave
--
 Dave Eaton
 Artronic Development  - Your Web Site Solution