lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Problem running Lynx -crawl via "cron"

From: Paul Grenness
Subject: LYNX-DEV Problem running Lynx -crawl via "cron"
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 17:12:28 +1100

Hi Lynx-Dev team,

I'm not having any success getting "lynx" v.2.7.1 with "-crawl" etc options
to run from a shell script started by "cron" on an ISP running Linux
v. 2.0.28

When the script is run by "cron", I am NOT logged into the ISP.

In the shell script I have a line -

lynx -crawl -traversal -realm -reload -term=vt100 $START_URL > $DISCARD_FILE

and when "cron" executes the shell script, the following error occurs and
Lynx DOES NOT proceed with the crawl -

Terminal initialisation failed - unknown terminal type?

Further down the script, I use "lynx" again, with lines -

cat $HOME/qs_form | lynx -dump -nolist -post_data -reload $QS_URL > $QQQ
cat $HOME/ct_form | lynx -dump -nolist -get_data -reload $CT_URL > $QQQQ

I.e. not using Lynx crawl and these two lines execute correctly without any
terminal initialisations errors.

In the script, which is executed by "cron" when I'm not logged into the ISP,
I have a PATH= statement which matches my PATH when I am logged into the ISP.

I CAN correctly manually execute the script when I AM logged in.

I CAN run the shell script using "cron" on my own ISP (TBSA - Linux v.
2.0.30) and do get a "Failed to Open Terminal" error message, BUT Lynx
proceeds and correctly completes the crawl.

Does anyone have any idea why I can't get Lynx crawl to proceed in the
absence of a terminal please ??

How might I 'trick' Lynx into proceeding in the absence of a terminal ??

tia & atb,
Paul G.