lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Setting up a fund for specific development?

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Setting up a fund for specific development?
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 08:52:51 +0000 (GMT)

> My hacker-mentality sez: create an array of pointers
> the size of current size of "active screen" (23 rows

I think it might be simpler than that, as curses probably already
does most of the work; however I'm not an expert on curses or how
Lynx uses it.

The problem though with side scrolling is that it is an expensive operation
in terms of line time for freenets and the like (I'm not sure if curses can
optimise a side scroll with inserts and deletes).

> usually, 36 in my case) and parse the table assuming
> no limit to columns... dynamically allocate the memory

The reccommended table rendering algorithm should take account of the
screen width.  Given that it is likely that may GUI targetted tables
assume a level of wrapping consistent with typical effective GUI widths,
Lynx would need to apply similar constraints.  (The rules compute
maximum and minimum widths for columns and then try to fit the display so
as to not violate any minimums and to avoid unecessary squashing.)