lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Setting up a fund for specific development?

From: Filip M Gieszczykiewicz
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Setting up a fund for specific development?
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 10:25:48 -0600 (CST)

You (David Combs) wrote:
[zap]
> Further, there's lots of screen packages, editors, etc,
> I believe, that allow one to HORIZONTALLY scroll
> what they're looking at.
>
> So, printing a table in eg 250 columns width should,
> for wide-screen people, or willing-to-scroll people,
> would at least allow the thing to be SEEN.
>
> In fact Lynx itself could do horizontal scrolling,
> almost trivially easily if that underlying module you
> load in for display-out provides it.  Or maybe
> the people who maintain THAT software could be
> talked into adding it.

My hacker-mentality sez: create an array of pointers
the size of current size of "active screen" (23 rows
usually, 36 in my case) and parse the table assuming
no limit to columns... dynamically allocate the memory
for each line. Then, provide a simple function of
moving the "scope" of what is displayed ... and redraw
the screen after moving one "screen" to the right...
Don't know how hard it would be to make it work for
moving one column over... Since unbound keys are in
low supply, I'd use one of them up to enter a "table
viewing" mode where the arrow keys would move the
"scope" either to the left or right... Heck, now
that I think about it, why not move the screen in
some fraction of total columns so that there is continuity.
Say, when right arrow is hit, move the screen "over"
totalcolumns/5 or something like that... allow it to be a
setting. I might want to move over 100 columns at a
time (I run 100x37 here)...

That's a hack... what's the "clean" solution? :-)

That would ALSO take me more hours than I have free...
And it's a little depressing that _some_ people
would get the done in 1/25th that time and do it
better the first time around... :-|

> I note that use of TABLES in pages, especially
> pages I look at, sometimes, makes lynx USELESS
> for those pages, because there is NO WAY that
> I can make any sense out of the output.

If I need to "see" the table... I download the file
to local machine, vi it and "parse" the HTML with my
brain... "Necessity is the mother of invention" :-)

Take care.