lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Troublesome Firewall Topology

From: pg
Subject: LYNX-DEV Troublesome Firewall Topology
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 1998 22:12:35 -0700 (MST)

Hello, Lyncei,

I'm trying to configure Lynx for the following firewall
topology:

    www.stortek.com
        -- (our Emporium) is outside the firewall; proxy required.

Otherwise:

    *.stortek.com
        -- is inside the firewall; proxy is undesirable
        -- These hosts are so numerous and dynamic that
           it's impractical to enumerate them individually.
        -- in fact, it's harmful to use a proxy on these hosts;
           Netscape proxy doesn't conform to RFC 1738 for FTP
           URLs, so doesn't work on these hosts.

Otherwise:

    *
        -- all others are outside the firewall; proxy required.

Is there any way to describe this configuration in a "no_proxy"
line in lynx.cfg?  If not, what's the best alternative; hacking
override_proxy in HTAccess.c to make it specific for our domain?
Enhancing override_proxy to add boolean algebra operators?
would Lynx development generally welcome such an extension?

(the same considerations apply for incompletely qualified host
names: "www" is outside; anything else incompletely qualified
is inside.)

Thanks,
gil