lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV saving a local file in lynx386 version

From: Lloyd Wood
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV saving a local file in lynx386 version
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 21:44:28 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 5 Dec 1997, David Combs wrote:

> (also re FTP problem in today lynx-dev)
> When you say print, you don't always know what
> the url is, eg it might be "ftp://...";.
>
> Maybe some more "intelligence" --
> a) lynx could ASK "what mode?" when it sees
>   FTP://...

Binary.

*Always* binary.

Let the users get an exact copy of what the server was giving out, and
let them take it from there; it's not worth risking corruption.
It's an 8-bit world out there.

IMO, Lynx's Print is an awkward method that needs renaming to a Save.
Once a file is saved locally, lynx can access it for printing and
*then* figure out if on-the-fly translation is needed or not, but
such a translation shouldn't be made permanently to a file.

Having 'Save to a local file' under Print is somehow backwards. I've
always expected it to be the other way around.

L.

<address@hidden>PGP<http://www.sat-net.com/L.Wood/>+44-1483-300800x3641