lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Mouse for DOS

From: Michael Sokolov
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Mouse for DOS
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 13:20:37 -0500 (EST)

This happens simply because SLIP packet drivers need a COM port (they were
designed to talk to your modem, after all), and if you specify the COM port
your mouse is on, OF COURSE the mouse won't work! The choice of a different
implementation of SLIP (SLIP8250 vs. SLIPPER) doesn't solve the problem, even
if it appears to work. Instead you should simply run the SLIP driver on an
unused COM port.
A much better solution would be to write a null packet driver that doesn't talk
to any COM ports at all. That's really trivial for anyone with assembly
language background, so I'll do it in two weeks when my final exams are over.

Sincerely,
Michael Sokolov
Phone: 440-646-1864
ARPA Internet SMTP mail: address@hidden