lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx SSL problem (VMS AXP, SSLEAY 0.6.6, 11/2/97 lynx271ssl

From: nospam-seesignature
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx SSL problem (VMS AXP, SSLEAY 0.6.6, 11/2/97 lynx271ssleay.uue)
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 13:21:54 -0500

On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Kerry Bouchard wrote:

>     I have the 11/2/97 distribution of the lynx271ssleay.uue file from Foteos
> Macrides, and the 0.6.6 version of the SSLEAY library.  I was able to get
> SSLEAY and then Lynx to compile and link on our system (VMS version 6.2 for
> AXP, Multinet v4.0, rev A), but the LYNX.EXE still won't access HTTPS sites.
> When I run it with -trace on, the error is (for example):
>
>   Making HTTPS connection to www.census.gov:6868.
>   HTTP: Unable to complete SSL handshake for remote host 'https://www.census.
>   gov:6868/Free/fdlOF.htm' (SSLerror = -1)

Our firewall doesn't like 6868, but Lynx gets through, but it says the
document doesn't exist.

https://www.census.gov gives:

You have reached a secure sever of the census Bureau

So it works with edssl under linux.  Also check that your firewall is
letting through the https port (443).

> I'm not sure where to go from here.  I have seen some references in previous
> messages to setting up certificates for SSLEAY -- is that something I need
> to do before SSL will work?  (When I access the sites with Netscape set to
> show me the SSL negotiation, I see the sites *sending* me a certificate,
> but I don't see them asking for one).  Or is there something wrong with the
> way
> it compiled and linked on our system?  Or should I be using the proxy code
> from ftp://ftp.replay.com/pub/replay/pub/crypto/SSLapps/SSLlynx/ instead of
> the lynx271ssleay.uue distribution -- if so, do I need  "eassl0.6.tgz",
> "edssl0.6.tgz",  or "lxprox.c", or all three?  (I tried downloading
> "lxprox.c", but I get dozens of errors when I try to compile it, even after
> changing the include paths to point to our DECC and MULTINET include
> directories.)

lxprox.c is the simplest, but you may need to add more include files.  I
don't have access to VMS, so I can't grep the includes, and DEC tends to
place things in wierd places.

You only need one of lxprox, eassl, or edssl.  lxprox does only basic
checking, eassl has full certificate support, and edssl does both server
and client proxying.

--- reply to tzeruch - at - ceddec - dot - com ---
;
;