lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx bug while fetching news group list

From: Jason Castonguay
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx bug while fetching news group list
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 22:19:18 -0500 (EST)

Hi there.  That gdb program is amazing (I never used it before and hadn't
realized what it could do).  I couldn't check out the Lynx.trace file
because it was too big (159,321 lines).  All my editors had a problem with
that <g>.

Here's what gdb reported after issuing the command: "gdb lynx core"

Core was generated by `lynx -trace news://news.ntplx.net'.
Reading symbols from /lib/libncurses.so.3.0...(no debugging symbols found)...
done.
Reading symbols from /lib/libc.so.5...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/ld-linux.so.1...done.
#0  0x6666662e in ?? ()

Hope this helps.  Please let me know if there is any way I can assist you
further.

regards,

Jason

On Fri, 14 Nov 1997, Klaus Weide wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Nov 1997, Jason Castonguay wrote:
>
> > Hi there everyone.  I'm not sure if this qualifies as a bug, but I'll tell
> > my story and let you figure it out <g>.
> >
> > I run a Linux PC and have Lynx version 2.7.1F running on it.  I connect to
> > the Internet via modem using PPP.  I issued the following command at the
> > command prompt: "lynx news://news.ntplx.net";.  It connected properly and
> > said it was reading list of available news groups.  Over a 28.8 K
> > connection, this takes a while, so it sat there, receiving the list.
> > After a while, it suddenly exited, dumping a core and telling me that I
> > had encountered a bug in Lynx.  However, I tried this again on a shell
> > account provided by my ISP, and it fetched the list successfully (they're
> > using lynx version 2.6) and also, theire connection to the news server is
> > faster.  I'm not sure what there system is, but I'm assuming it is some
> > kind of sun work station (upon log in, it says "Sunrose system release
> > 4.0), or something to that effect.
> >
> > I hope this information helps in solving the problem.  Thanks for your
> > time.
>
> If you got a core file,
>
>   gdb lynx core
>   (gdb) where
>
> should give info on where the error occurred.  Also see what you get with
> TRACE (lynx -trace, maybe lynx -trace -tlog, or the ^T key), maybe the
> last lines of trace info can give a hint.
>
>    Klaus

;
;