lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Long lines split on saving to disk

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Long lines split on saving to disk
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 1997 14:22:25 -0500 (EST)

Rick Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:
>Lynx version:  2.7.1f
>Platform:      IRIX64 helix 6.2 03131016 IP19
>
>I've encountered what appears to be a bug in lynx's behavior when saving
>to a file.  When saving to disk a text file with long lines, e.g.
>http://www.best.com/~ariel/nospam/splite.rc, the saved image has its
>lines split after each 79 characters.  Since the example file contains
>procmail code with regular expressions, the longest of which is 633
>characters, the regexp's end up badly broken.
>
>Saving via (*sigh*) Netscape instead gives an image without these line
>breaks, so I'm sure it's not the server's fault (and the file author
>confirms this).
>
>I'm using 'p' followed by "Save to a local file" to capture the file.
>Is there a better lynx alternative than manually editing the saved
>image?

        All versions of Lynx handle both text/html and text/plain via
an HText structure, with wrapping at the current style's right margin
for text/html, or at one column less then the screen's right margin
for text/plain.  The 'p'rint menu functions simply output the series
of (already wrapped, plus charset converted) lines in the HText
structure, as it would to your display screen, but without insertions
of the title at the top, and continuously rather than as "pages"
based on the screen's display height.

        It you want unwrapped lines for text/plain files, you must
use the 'd'ownload menu functions.  If you currently have the
text/plain file displayed, invoke the History Page or the Visited
Links Page, and press the 'd'ownload command when positioned on
the link corresponding to that file.  You also will not get charset
conversions in the output under those conditions, i.e., what you
want is a faithful, unprocessed, copy of the original document, and
that's a 'd'ownload as far a Lynx is concerned.

        This is basic information about how (sigh :) Lynx works,
explained at length in the Users Guide, accessible via the online
'h'elp.

                                Fote