lynx-dev

Re: more on INSTALLATION [was Re: LYNX-DEV Thanks! DOS Compile works

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: more on INSTALLATION [was Re: LYNX-DEV Thanks! DOS Compile works now]
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 23:57:20 +0300 (MSK)

> > Unpack the source code using a DOS "unzip" program (like PKUNZIP or
> > UNZIP386).
> [...]
> > as it will automatically create any necessary directories.
>
> I had already changed this section, but I like your wording better than
> my own in some places.  I'll sleep on it and do a little more editing
> tomorrow.  Thanks much.

To Henry:

***** INSTALLATION

    Unpack the source code using a DOS "unzip" program like UNZIP386, DOS
    port of GNU "gzip" or "gunzip", or the command line zip available from
    "http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/";.  If you must use PKUNZIP to unpack the
    .zip archive, be sure to use the -d command line switch to restore the
    directory structure contained in the archive ("pkunzip -d lynx-cur.zip").
    This is not necessary if you use UNZIP386, as it will automatically create
    the necessary directories.  If you are doing development with DJGPP under
    a Win95 or NT DOS shell, DO NOT USE Winzip, because that will create long
    long filenames that will not be recognized by DJGPP tools like 'make' and
    'gcc'.  In order to compile, all filenames MUST be in DOS 8.3 format.

Looks too complex and heavy. I assume all DOS people have pkunzip installed
and may unpack *.zip, at least those who plan to compile anything himself.
Are you sure with gzip and gunzip? they extract only a sinlge files.
You should only stress about long filenames...
***** INSTALLATION.OLD

    Unpack the source code.  If you are using pkunzip to unpack the .zip
    archive, use the -d command line switch to restore the directory
    structure contained in the archive (unnecessary if you use unzip386).

Correct the last line and add a couple of words from Doug's reply:

    structure (no switch required if you use unzip386 or unzip).
    If you are working under Win95/NT but trying to compile 386 DOS port,
    be sure to unpack source via DOS program, not Winzip so that
    all directories will be adjusted to 8+3 by unzip.

> On Fri, 24 Oct 1997, JeffreyX Groves wrote:
>
> > I have everything installed on a Win95 system and I re-booted in
> > DOS mode.  I'm still getting the same errors...
> >
> > All the errors seem to be related to files that are longer than the
> > standard DOS 8.3 format.

> > Do I have to edit all the file references to 8.3 format or is there a
> > better way?  I've already spent four days trying to get this to compile
> > and it getting a little frustrating.
>
> It sounds as if the problem may be the way you unpacked the distribution.
> Try using the zip archive rather than the tar.gz archive and use unzip
> to unpack it.  Do this under DOS, not WIN95 so that all directories will
> be adjusted to 8+3 by unzip.  Then try to compile.  None of the names in
> the makefile need to be adjusted to 8+3; DJGPP takes care of this for
> you.
>
>                                   Doug
> __
> Doug Kaufman