lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Options: Dotfiles

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Options: Dotfiles
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 09:22:28 +0900 (JST)

> > The problems with reverse video links and curses stuff is not fixable,
> > since as far as I can tell, the new slang/ncurses/etc needs to be
> > system-installed...something that isn't likely to happen here...though
>
> I have both slang and ncurses installed in my own directory .  It takes

About the only reason you could not install slang or ncurses in your
home directory is that you don't have enough disk space.  Both slang and
ncurses use autoconf, so just set --prefix= and it should be a wiz on Un*x.

> a bit of hacking (haven't been able to convince anyone to just add
> flags to lynx's configure) for me to tell configure where to find them, but
> it's doable.

The section explaining environment variables within the autoconf compile
section for Un*x in the INSTALLATION file is a little weak yet.  When I come
up with a concise solution, I'll offer a patch.  I think there needs to be
an example there, in addition to the explanation.  The reason I didn't just
stick one in there is that the format depends on your shell.  Anyway it's a
problem I'm aware of and thinking about. (I did add a sentence about the
possible need to set an environment variable if the curses library is installed
in one's home directory.)

__Henry
;
;