lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV ac81 chartrans problems

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV ac81 chartrans problems
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 14:01:34 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 24 Oct 1997, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> Klaus,
> your workaround isn't good looking,
> since user should to do things manually and keep in mind all this staff.
> I may still live without this, but my proposal was obvious:
> just to remove META charset (if any) from the printing output.

My idea was that if this works well enough, then maybe the suggested
filename at the "Enter a filename: " could be constructed so that it
already has the "right" suffix by default.  This could apply to 'P'rint
as well as 'D'ownload.  Of course it requires some local configuration,
but that seems nearly inevitable.

"Just remove META" may seem easy and obvious to you, but (1) it requires
messing with the stream of bytes where so far we could just treat it
transparently (especially if this is also to apply for 'D'ownload);
(2) the exact form and place in which the META occurs may vary, it
doesn't seem like a good idea to sometimes recognize it (in its most
"common" form) but not other times; (3) this is only a special case
of the general problem where downloaded documents may need adjustment.

And it doesn't seem like a good idea to me to add something that would
work only for 'P' but not for 'D'.

Have you tried something like adding a PRINTER: which invoke a command
that strips the META stuff out of a file?

     Klaus

> [...]
> >
> > Leonid,
> >
> >   please try the following:
> >
> > Decide on some new suffixes (file extensions) to use for files in specific
> > character encodings.  For example
> >
> >    text/html;charset=koi8-r     k8html
> >    text/plain;charset=koi8-r    k8txt
> >    text/html;charset=cp866      althtml
> >
> > Add these to your mime.types file or (in the appropriate SUFFIX syntax)
> > to your lynx.cfg.  (For DOS there obviously is a problem with the 8+3
> > filename restriction,  but it should also work for your Lynx386 version
> > if you make up short suffixes.)
> >
> > Then when you save a file from the 'P'rint menu, change the proposed
> > filename to give it the right suffix.
> >
> > When you later access the file with lynx, the explicit charset from the
> > suffix should override any charset from META (it is stronger, like charset
> > from HTTP headers is stronger).
> >
> > This is nothing new, so it should work with your last Lynx386 binary.

         Klaus

;
;