lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV default editor for lynx_w32: Howto?

From: Scott McGee (Personal)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV default editor for lynx_w32: Howto?
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 10:33:09 -0600

Just a word of caution regarding long filenames on Win95 and the 8.3 equiv.
for them. As I understand it (read: I could be wrong, but this is what I
beleive to be true), a given long file name can _NOT_ be assumed to have a
given 8.3 counterpart. For example, LYMessages_en.h would usually be mangled
to LYMess~1.en, but if I had a file named LYMessages_fr.h in place first, _it_
would get the LYMess~1.en and LYMessages_en.h would become LYMess~2.h. (The
capitolization here is suspect, but ignore that for a moment.)

Basically, if another file with a long file name is in the directory before
a given file is placed there, and they both share the same first six characters
and such, then the first one gets the ~1 mangled name and the second the ~2
mangled name. Thus, you can _not_ rely on the ~1 part for the mangled version
of any file name. This is a good reason for keeping long file names when they
are availible. You just don't know what the mangled version may be.

(As stated, I beleive all the above, with the possible exception of some case
values, to be correct. If anyone feels differently, please let me know.)

Scott

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,