lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV lynx using WYSE 50 terminals

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx using WYSE 50 terminals
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 02:09:48 +0000

Benjamin C. W. Sittler wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Oct 1997, Bela Lubkin wrote:
> [snip]
> >   Display problems with Wyse 50 (and other "magic cookie" terminals):
> [snip]
>
> The other magic-cookie terminals still used around here (less and less,
> though, as time goes by... ) are TeleVideo TVI912B, TVI912C, TVI920B, and
> TVI920C terminals. They emulate the ADM-3A, but add magic-cookie

Thank you.  This prompted me to search my OpenServer 5.0.4 terminfo and
come up with a long list of magic cookie terminals.  I recognize many of
them as terminals still in occasional use, so:

 Display problems with various older terminals that use "magic cookies":

   ADDS Regent 40, 60, 100, 200
   DEC VT100 without "advanced video" option (really ancient VT100's)
   Lear Siegler ADM5 and ADM21
   QUME QVT-101, QVT-102, QVT-108
   Tandy DT-100
   Teleray 1061
   Televideo (TVI) 803, 910, 912, 920, 925, 950
   Wyse 30, 30+, 50, 55, 75, 100, 350 (but not 60, 150, 160, or others)

> highlighting and escape sequences for fillout-form handling (block mode
> and protected areas.) A termcap entry has been written which uses the
> protect/unprotect escape sequences (which don't make cookies) to do
> highlighting, but this gives only two highlight states.

Yes, that's the problem with such entries.  I think that, except with
specialized software (intentionally written around the limitations of
magic cookie terminals), such two-state entries are preferable.

--
Sandy & Bela Lubkin are traveling around the world for a year!  Now in St.
Petersburg, Russia.  Next week: Helsinki, then -- we don't know!  Stories,