lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV problem starting lynx32

From: Al Gilman
Subject: LYNX-DEV problem starting lynx32
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 23:30:25 -0400 (EDT)

>     * From: Rich Wong <address@hidden>
>
>Just installed Lynx 2.7.1 for the Windows 32 bit platform, and I was
>wondering if anyone could help in fixing some problems I'm having.
>
>When I start up Lynx.exe, it looks for (and can't find) Files.com,
>Files.edu, and Files.net, in that order.  It ends up looking for
>www.Files.net/lynx/lynx.exe.
>(I placed the lynx files in the directory c:/Program Files/lynx/..., so I'd
>assume that's why it's looking for a host called 'Files')

You want to ensure that Windows doesn't have to use any long file
names with spaces in them to find lynx.cfg, it seems.

This is a FAQ, but I haven't linked to one of the many times
Wayne has explained it.

I believe that you can demonstrate that this is the problem by
creating a c:\short\ and putting all the Lynx stuff under there.
There are more elegant ways to do it, but...

It's there in the archives if you search for it.

-- Al Gilman

;
;