lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Error in compiling ac82

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Error in compiling ac82
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 14:23:39 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 15 Oct 1997, James Elkinton wrote:

> I've compiled every ac since ac74 with no problems, so you can imagine my
> surprise when this popped out and reared its ugly head in ac82:
>
> ./LYMain.c: In function `free_lynx_globals':
> ./LYMain.c:477: `lynx_lss_file' undeclared (first use this function)
> ./LYMain.c:477: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> ./LYMain.c:477: for each function it appears in.)
> *** Error code 1

No, this was NOT deliberately planted to find out who is running the
development code and never having problems. :)

It is corrected in 2.7.1ac-0.83.

> Also, I'm compiling on a machine that has a bad termcap or something, that
> causes all links to be in inverse (ANSI ESC[7m) and only a cursor to each
> link that I arrow over to.

That sounds like configure has determined that the curses implementation
is only very minimal, and as a result has not defined FANCY_CURSES.
Check in the generated lynx_cfg.h.  In that case Lynx uses only one kind
of emphasis (standout() mode).

If this is the case, but the curses lib could in fact support more, then
Tom should look into it...  He'd probably need your config.log, maybe
more.

> However, this is much better than the one that
> is system installed, which has all links in bold video (ESC[1m) and when you
> select the link, it becomes normal video (ESC[0m), with no cursor in sight!
> VERY difficult on a terminal on which bold and normal are almost
> indistinguishable from each other.  Stupid FreeBSD system. :)  My Linux
> system does it perfectly.  But I gotta use the FreeBSD system for a while,
> so... even though it is rather off-topic, can anyone give me some detailed
> help on what I should scrounge around the net for to try and fix this
> problem?  Saw some general ideas a while back, but it made no sense at the
> time.

You could start with man infocmp, man -a terminfo (or termcap)...

Maybe <URL:http://sol.slcc.edu/lynx/klaus/texts/attrnotes.txt> also helps,
but it hasn't been updated for 2.7.1 or the development code.

   Klaus

;
;