lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Chatting with Lynx

From: Greg Barniskis
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Chatting with Lynx
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 97 09:52:07 -0500

Alan Hart said:

>patrons are using our terminals to "chat" rather than searching.  Sometimes
>they'll chat with the person at the next terminal.
>
>My question is, can we disable the chat feature, and if so, how do I do it.

As a fellow library Lynx user, I must sympathize. There are many
web-based "chat" services, and these are only some of the "hybrid" web
services that patrons enjoy, including web-based email systems like
hotmail and mailexcite. All are reached through typical http:// URLs and
thus indistinguishable from more typical web services, except by their
names.

Here, we mostly tolerate patrons using these hybrid chat/mail/web
services -- providing popular services tends to up community support for
info technology in libraries. Some of our libraries place a time limit on
terminal users, some tap patrons on the shoulder to remind them that
non-educational services are frowned on by our systemwide acceptable use
policy (and/or by the local library's policy, which may be stricter).

David Woolley's response that you can filter these out using a locally
controlled proxy service is correct, and possibly the only way to _force_
your patrons out of "undesired" web services. But you then take on PR
problems, ongoing responsibility for filter maintenance, and forever
after you'll be in a race condition with your patrons, who will continue
to seek (and find) ways to get around/over/under any hurdles you place.
There is also the delicate issue of censorship, which doesn't belong on
this list...