lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Problems with 2.7.1

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Problems with 2.7.1
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 15:47:40 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 6 Oct 1997, Maisenbacher Matthias (K3/EES4) wrote:

> some time ago I compiled and since used Lynx 2.7 on an Ultrix
> workstation.
> (And like it!)
>
> Last Week I compiled 2.7.1-AC74 (because I needed the feature of
> proxy authorization) and got 2 differences:

First, I suggest you download again the current version, there were
some problems in 2.7.1ac-0.24 (they may not have an effect on your
problems, bu you never know).

> 1) When I view some special german characters like รค (the 'a' with the 2
> dots above)
>     It seems as if something cuts the 8th bit off.

This is strange since it should work the same way between 2.7 and the
devel code.  Does the 8th bit really get cut off, or is some improper
conversion happening?  Check your settings for display character set
(you may try various from the Options screen), and see lynx.cfg.
If the 8th bit really gets cut off, it may be something between lynx
and you, or the curses is not 8-bit clean (although I don't know why this
wouldn't happen with 2.7, *if* it is compiled with the same curses
library).

> 2) With 2.7 Lynx showed links in bold face and the current link in
> reverse video.
>     Now it shows all links in reverse video and the current link is
> marked by
>     a) a little reverse box or
>     b) only the cursor when links follow themselves directly.

Sounds like your curses is having problems.  There isn't anything that
should show as a reverse box (unless that is the shape of your cursor).
With Lynx 2.7 *AND* 2.7.1ac-<current> the use of attributes should be
(by default, and if not using color) as you describe for 2.7.  (And
more generally, as listed in lynx.cfg in the COLORS section.)

What is $TERM set to?  Try lynx -term=xxx with various xxx.

You may have to modify the terminfo or termcap file, if you cannot find
one that describes your terminal well.

Are you running Lynx in an xterm?

Make sure color is not set ON on the Options screen.

>     (Yes I read in the docs that lynx is not responsible for that.
> Instead
>       it is the curses lib or some of the others. But - I'm not able to
> switch. Am I ?)

Sure you can.  You can get a newer version of either ncurses and slang,
compile and install that, and then compile Lynx to use it.  (Download
locations are mentioned at least in makefile.in)

> Could please somebody tell me
>
> - how I can change the behaviour of 1) and
> - whether 2) changed from 2.7 to 2.7.1  or how I can distinguish the two
>
> I built 2.7 with 'make ultrix' and 2.7.1 with 'configure' and 'make'

I don't know what is different.  Do you have more than one curses library
someplace, and configure is picking a different one?

> Thank you for all responses
>
>         Matthias Maisenbacher

  Klaus

;