lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV winbobcat

From: Benjamin C. W. Sittler
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV winbobcat
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 12:38:06 -0600 (MDT)

On Sun, 28 Sep 1997, Wayne Buttles wrote:

> According to my borland compilers (3.1 and 4.2), Win16 programming is much
> more limited than Win32 and DOS (even 8088) programming.  A test build of
> bobcat targeted for windows results in errors of the data segment being
> greater than 64k.  DOS has a huge model which overcomes this barrier and
> Win32 doesn't have this limit (nor does djgpp).  I had forgotten this.

And I never knew it! :)

On a related note, I downloaded the RSXWIN package (an extender used to
run 32-bit EMX binaries under 16-bit Windows) and the sample applications
seem to work. It includes code for a basic console window with minimal
ANSI support (including color) but seems to lack networking entirely.
I think I'll try to build a local-only Lynx anyhow, just to see if it can
be done.

;
;