lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 2.7.1 and secure servers

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 2.7.1 and secure servers
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 00:33:38 +0100 (BST)

>  Hello there. I'm testing lynx 2.7.1 on a Solaris 2.4 system. It all seems
> fine except for one thing. If I ever connnect to a secure server(one with

FAQ.  Covered several times in the last few weeks.  (RSA) patent
is incompatible with Gnu Licence  (there are reports of a Netscape
patent on SSL as well).  Encryption cannot be supplied to people who
aren't permanent US residents (actually Canada is OK, but the rules are
complicated and academic to a UK citizen).   Patches and proxy exist -
not sure about whether export to Canada is an option - check the FAQ.

> ssl) I get this prompt for a HEAD request for document, link, or Cancel. Has
> anyone else seen this and is there a way to disable that?

That's the response to ] not to an https URL.  All I get is:

Alert!: This client does not contain support for HTTPS URLs.

Actually, I've never yet needed to use SSL, although, in the office, we
are beginning to find business related (software based products) sites
which require it, but the people using them are GUI converts anyway.
(Our main problem is that MSIE 3.02's CONNECT proxy support is broken
(fixed in 4 and unbroken in 3.01).)
;
;