lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV I18N work to submit (fwd)

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV I18N work to submit (fwd)
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 10:09:28 +0900 (JST)

> Yaping's code uses catgets() for the message strings.  It only deals with
> the strings that were already collected in LYMessages_en.h, so it is much

If it only deals with LYMessages_en.h strings, and not the hard coded
ones, what is the advantage?  It is almost trivial to just change the
name of the file to be used in userdefs.h from LYMessages_en.h to the
translated file.  The real problem for non-programmers is the hard
coded strings like those of the print or download option pages or the
prompts for mailing, etc.  Does "i18N" have some mechanism for easily
adding translations to the hard-coded strings?  If not, for the time
being it would seem easier to just compile a lynx for each language one
would be using at a site.

> I don't know on how many systems this would actually be usable, how
> difficult it is to install a message catalog and how system dependent they

So some installation/help/support documentation is necessary.  I guess
that could only be done by the authors of "i18n".

__Henry
;
;