lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Optimizing Lynx on HP-UX

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Optimizing Lynx on HP-UX
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 17:44:29 -0400 (EDT)

>    +Osize -D_HP_CURSES -Aa -D_HPUX_SOURCE -DSNAKE  -c ./LYMainLoop.c
> cc: mainloop(): error 6355: Bit vectors: Set out of memory. (6355)
>   *** Error exit code 1
>
>   Stop.
>   *** Error exit code 1
>
>   Stop.
>
> Would this indicate a shortcoming with the snake's optimizer or
> a problem with the mainloop() function?  Or both?
not a _logic_ problem, but mainloop abuses the optimizer, which is
trying to collapse a lot of logic (5128 lines in one module is
excessive).  It's not the longest module I've seen, but the others
had no good excuse either.  (It just grew, apparently).

But it's both a portability and maintenance problem that won't go away
by itself.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden