lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Re: downloading patches from slcc

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: downloading patches from slcc
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 22:24:32 +0000

Klaus Weide (Klaus>) replied to me (Bela>>):

Bela>> I've got a test message out to the WebMail server; if that works, I
Bela>> think my needs are satisfied.  Dunno about Henry's.

Test response received.  It worked, though there were a couple of
glitches.  The response I received was not compressed (nor uuencoded).
I don't know whether that was because slcc didn't gzip it in the first
place, or whether WebMail "helpfully" gunzipped it.  This isn't a
problem for me (I bzip my mail spool before I download it over my slow/
flaky/expensive pipe), but it may be a problem for Henry.

The other glitch is (as far as I know) a generic problem with the
autopatch service.  The patch ends with these lines:

  Only in version 2.7.1ac-0.58: lynx2-7-1/Makefile.old
  Only in version 2.7.1ac-0.58: lynx2-7-1/src/chrtrans/cp1251_uni.tbl
  Only in version 2.7.1ac-0.58: lynx2-7-1/about_lynx/lynx-dev.html
  Only in version 2.7.1ac-0.58: lynx2-7-1/src/chrtrans/cp866_uni.tbl
  Only in version 2.7.1ac-0.36: lynx2-7-1/Makefile

-- but does not provide copies of the four new files.  I haven't yet
tested whether the two chrtrns/ files are needed for a `make` to
succeed.

Are there URLs to get a specific file from a specific version?  i.e.
something like:

http://sol.slcc.edu/cgi-bin/lynx/file?level=2.7.1ac-0.58&name=lynx2-7-1/src/chrtrans/cp1251_uni.tbl

Bela>> One remaining problem for me: apparently, in the autopatch URL, I must
Bela>> name a specific version, like "new_level=2.7.1ac-0.58".  It would be
Bela>> nice if I could specify "the most recent" without having to know the
Bela>> namber.  My email is so asynchronous, if I go by what's been posted
Bela>> here, I'm likely to end up downloading a version that's 2-3 updates old.
Bela>> So it would be nice if it accepted something like
Bela>> "new_level=2.7.1ac-current".  -- but that's a change for the CGI script,
Bela>> not mail aliases.

Klaus> Already there :)
Klaus>
Klaus> Use the '@' character for 'latest (sub)version', i.e.
Klaus> "new_level=2.7.1ac-0.@".

Thanks!

I was able to update my source by doing this:

  $ mail address@hidden
  Subject: webmail request

  GET
http://sol.slcc.edu/cgi-bin/lynx/patch?old_level=2.7.1ac-0.36&new_level=2.7.1ac-0.58&compressed=y