lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Re: mail notification in lynx

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: mail notification in lynx
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 09:17:27 -0500 (EST)

address@hidden (Larry W. Virden, x2487) wrote:
>From: Al Gilman <address@hidden>
>> to follow up on what Adam Lloyd said:
>> > From: Adam Lloyd <address@hidden>
>> > Subject: Re: mail notification in lynx

>> > so I gather there is no mail notification if you have mail, this is
>> > something which would have to be coded into one of the mods?
>> >
>> > possibly lyoptions.c??
>> >

>> Maybe the experts on lynx-dev will check me on this:
>>
>> Lynx usually runs in a multiprocessing environment, so that
>> another concurrent process running a program such as biff can
>> generate user interruptions announcing the arrival of electronic
>> mail IF you want them.  I am sure this question has come up
>> before.  I think this is the reason given why Lynx does not offer
>> this function.
>
>Actually, it not only came up, but there is an option which for me
>at least results in lynx doing mail notification.
>
>Look in the userdefs.h file for CHECKMAIL ...

        It also is in lynx.cfg, and has been both a compilation and
configuration option with v2.4:

# lynx.cfg file.
[...]
# If CHECKMAIL is set to TRUE, the user will be informed (via a statusline
# message) about the existence of any unread mail at startup of Lynx, and
# will get statusline messages if subsequent new mail arrives.  If a jumps
# file with a lynxprog URL for invoking mail is available, or your html
# pages include an mail launch file URL, the user thereby can access mail
# and read the messages.  The checks and statusline reports will not be
# performed if Lynx has been invoked with the -restrictions=mail switch.
#
#  VMS USERS !!!
# New mail is normally broadcast as it arrives, via "unsolicited screen
# broadcasts", which can be "wiped" from the Lynx display via the Ctrl-W
# command.  You may prefer to disable the broadcasts and use CHECKMAIL
# instead (e.g., in a public account which will be used by people who
# are ignorant about VMS).
#
#CHECKMAIL:FALSE

                                Fote