lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV lynx troubles with Cyrillic

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx troubles with Cyrillic
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 11:57:26 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 22 Aug 1997, Andrey Cherezov wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm using the current Lynx for Win32
> It contains all available screen Cyrillic charsets
> (KOI8-R, ISO8859-5, DosCyrillic(cp866) and WinCyrrillic(cp1251)),
> but these all (!) don't works right. Always I see unreadable
> texts, for example:
>
> "Yoi ae`aai`ay nodh`aieoe`a oidh`aaeaiey nadhaadhi`i yeaeodhiiiie
> ii/ou. Eniieuecoy a, Au `iiaeaoa ec`iaieoue e`ae iauea aeey anaai"

Go through your lynx.cfg file and find the settings relevant to
character sets.  There should be some text there explaining the
various options.  If it is unclear, ask back writing to <address@hidden>
(and even better, offer to write better documentation :)  )

You can also specify -assume_* options on the commands line when lynx is
invoked.  To see what Lynx currently thinks about the character encoding
of a document, use the INFO key (normally  that is '=').

If you have to save ('D'ownload) documents in different charsets and later
view them, you will have to invoke lynx in different ways, or put
appropriate <META> tags in them (if they are HTML).  Or you can save them
with 'P'rint from the SOURCE ('\') view, and they will be written as
translated and displayed.

> Consoles in Win32 by default viewed in "OEM" code page (for Cyrillic
> OEM=cp866=DOS_code_page). When reading WinCyrrilic(cp1251) HTML
> document lynx must convert cp1251->cp866 for right display it.
> (Windows function "CharToOemBuff" does so, you can use it).
> May be lynx console library does someone else...

Since the Lynx code isn't written specifically for Windows, it uses its
own functions for this.

I am surprised you don't mention any keyboard trouble.  Do all the keys
work for you as they should when you type in some text?

    Klaus

;
;