lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Forms

From: RamNarayan S
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Forms
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 23:22:03 +0500 (IST)

| Contents best read by a mail reader with its viewing  window |
| and wrap margins atleast 80 columns wide. (Text reader best) |

On Thu, 21 Aug 1997 address@hidden wrote:

Hi,

> I like Lynx, and find that it nicely accomodates the admittedly clumsy
> access to the Web that a text browser must have.  One thing that annoys me
> is the "form" that often comes up in some Web sites.  (The Washington
> Post's, at washingtonpost.com, is my current problem.)
>
> For one thing, the text-entry lines are too short to show all the text
> that can be entered on them.

I would  agree to that  suggestion.  It is so  difficult  cramping  what you
write  into the  forms  into a few  lines  without  a line  break.  I have 2
suggestions here.

1.  Easier one of the two.  When  parsing,  look for TEXTAREA and modify the
    values  of the rows  and  cols  variable  to  something  that  could  be
    customised  from the Options  screen or the config file.  That gives you
    an option of how many lines or columns  you would want in a TEXTAREA  by
    default  instead  of what the site has to  offer.  I am not  sure of the
    inherent problems in this approach, but definitely worth a try.

2.  Is there anyway to identify  that you are in a text area and then have a
    hot key which  allows you to invoke a text editor or  something  of that
    sort where you type in  whatever  you want to go into a text area of the
    form and then fixes them back into the text area when you are  through ?
    Just a suggestion.  Any ideas on difficulty of the task ?

Frankly  it is just a `Would  Be  Nice'  feature  and I can't  estimate  the
inherent difficulties of implementing them.

RamNarayan S