lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV ac#54: FreeBSD bulding is broken again, please fix

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV ac#54: FreeBSD bulding is broken again, please fix
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 12:10:59 -0400 (EDT)

> FreeBSD 2.1.5 is too obsolete to deal with. I care about FreeBSD 2.2.3 and
that's only a year old (and has some interesting bugs that I've seen in
other systems to which I've less access - so I'll keep it around for another
month or so until I'm ready to put in 2.2.3).

> FreeBSD 3.0 -current.  There is no such thing like ncurses 1.8.6 for
> FreeBSD 2.2.3 and 3.0 -current, there is merged 1.8.6+4.1 ncurses now. Raw
> ncurses 4.1 is not imported yet, ask address@hidden if you interested
> why, he deals with clean import. I prefer to make merged ncurses version
> right now and commit it than wait for clean import forever.
I don't know either - ncurses 4.1 works properly on FreeBSD without any
'import' or 'merge'.  But I'll ask.

> >     AC_TRY_LINK([#include <$cf_cv_ncurses_header>],
> >             [initscr()],
> >             [AC_MSG_RESULT(yes)],
> >             [AC_MSG_RESULT(no)
> >              LIBS="$cf_ncurses_SAVE"])
> > fi
> >
> > If the AC_TRY_LINK fails (as expected, for your configuration), the $LIBS
> > variable is restored, with -lmytinfo.  (Seeing what that part of the log
> > does might clear up the confusion).
>
> Why you think that AC_TRY_LINK must fails? It NOT fails as expected, since
> initscr() IS in ncurses() and it is dynamically linked thing. You should
> call something like tigetstr() additionly to initscr() to make it really
> fails without -lmytinfo.
No. If ncurses needs mytinfo to link, it should fail when linking initscr
(unless someone's done something interesting to the dependencies).  But the
config.log would show that.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden