lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV soft hyphens (was: fotemods.zip update)

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV soft hyphens (was: fotemods.zip update)
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 20:38:45 -0500 (EST)

Klaus Weide <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Sun, 17 Aug 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:
>
>>      An update of fotemods.zip is available in:
>>
>>      http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/fote/patches/
>>
>> 1997-08-17
>> * Tweaks in print_wwwfile_to_fd() and print_crawl_to_fd() to handle soft
>>   hyphens at the ends of output lines. - KW & FM
>
>By the way, I _think_ the fotemods code (and, by virtue of using the same
>code, the devel code) is attempting to support the 'decorative' use of
>&shy; (for display of a hyphen-like character instead of line breaking),
>in situations when it's not in a word.  (I was quite sure, but couldn't
>find an entry about it in FOTEMODS or CHANGES when I just looked.)
>I could never get an non-braking &shy; to have any effect.  Does it not
>work as expected, or do you have an example showing the use?
>
>I don't necessarily miss that support though :) since the <SHY> tag is now
>treated like a &shy; it would probably mean that sometimes <SHY> also
>would result in display of a '-' in the middle of a line when it
>shouldn't.

        I don't follow what you're saying/asking.  I included all of your
code, physically, but #ifdef NOTDEFINED some of it out.  The foo_fd()
functions are like display_page(), and should put up a hard hyphen if,
and only if, it is on the end of a line, otherwise, remove them.  They are
not used with -source or 'd'ownload, and in those cases what's actually
there should be retained (be it a tag, named or numeric character reference,
or byte with value 173, all of which will be LY_SOFT_HYPHEN in the HText
structure used by display_page() and the foo_fd() functions if the document
had a Latin or equivalent charset, but otherwise not for a byte with value
173, and not when using -source or 'd'ownload).  They are also used when
mailing, and what should be done in that case is ambiguous, depending on
the level of chartrans support being used, but my personal preference is
to follow the same rule, for now, even though imperfect.

        I didn't include your highlight() mod in LYUtils.c.  That's another
ambiguous case, and my preference is to leave clear that's it's a soft
hyphen in a link name that's been split to two lines, because for example,
you won't get a hit for it if you include a hyphen at the end of a string
that includes the end of the first, split, line in the link name (but
others are likely to see both as bugs, not a features :).

                                Fote