lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Strange escapes (was Re: Strange error with numbered

From: H E Nelson
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Strange escapes (was Re: Strange error with numbered
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 12:39:59 +0900 (JST)

>       It went to 7 nesting depths, so you've lost some in the course
> trying to fix it up on your system.  It all works properly for EUC,
> as far as I can judge from byte streams that are created.  I suspect
> the problem for SJIS is that it doesn't have a clean separation of
> multibytes out of the ASCII range, and some of the guessing functions

Surely correct on all accounts.  Though getting far away from Lynx
proper, maybe others on the list love it like I do when things are
FUBAR.  D)ownloaded Hynek's page again, this time on SunOS4.1.3-JL
with the same Lynx code (2-7-1 + fotemods [1997-07-04], yesterday
I think I said 05 but was mistaken).  Although there are a few
multibytes, nothing like before, and none messing up the critical
`<' character.  What I reported yesterday was the same Lynx code,
but on FreeBSD 2.2.1-RELEASE (this machine), which has been patched
over quite heavily twice to get it to run on the NEC98note i386
architecture.  I guess it boils down to the FreeBSD(98) team creating
a miracle (have to live in Japan to know what THAT means), but still
needing some tweaking in the locale and LANG areas.

So it wasn't "escapes" at all, but "multibytes out of the ASCII
range", which _after all this time_ I forgot about of course.  Thanks.

__Henry
;
;