lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Strange escapes (was Re: Strange error with numbered lists nest

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: LYNX-DEV Strange escapes (was Re: Strange error with numbered lists nesting)
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 05:44:34 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Nelson Henry Eric wrote:

> > Why the negative numbers? And the wrong indentation (see the source) ?
>
> What I see in the source are countless escape codes thrown about, e.g.,
> by "$Bm<(JLI>" or "$By<(JLI>" I assume you meant "<LI>", and
> "$Bi<(J/OL>" or "$Bm<(J/OL>",
> "<OL>".  One `safe' work around is to put a space between escape-coded
> characters and regular, unescaped ansi characters.  If "$Bm<(JLI>" and
> "<LI>"
> appear the same to you, then the problem goes WAY deeper than Lynx.

Henry,

there are no such escape codes in Hynek's page.  They must be an artifact
of whatever you (or Lynx?) did to get his page onto your system, and view
it in an environment set up for Japanese.  Some transformation has
occurred, which might have been reasonable if Hynek's bytes had been some
kind of EUC or similar.  Instead the page is written and transmitted in
ISO-8859-2 character encoding.  But it fails to indicate that in any
standard way, so the Lynx would normally assume that it is ISO-8859-1 or,
depending on the Raw/CJK toggle, that it is already in an appropriate
charset or encoding for your environment.  (Hynek should know to do
better before offering the page for testing to an international audience,
especially since, from what I can guess, his list deals just with these
kinds of problems...)

You will (maybe) see in the quoted portion above what pine (here) does
to the raw escape codes - in this case, they seem to have survived so
far.  They appeared different when just reading your mail, for example
I saw the first string as "Bm<LI>".  There's no telling how they may
get displayed on somebody else' system or in the lynx-dev archives.
And I have no idea how they look on your (Japanese) system.

To get back to Lynx, you should (1) change the Display Character Set
to either "7 bit approximations" or one of the "RFC 1345" settings at
the end of the list; and (2) invoke lynx with -assume_charset=iso-8859-2.
That will give approximations to the text which should work on all
systems.  Also if you just toggle CJK off with '@' or -raw (but leave
your Display Character Setting as "Japanese (???)"), the display will
only have 7-bit characters (but not necessarily the right ones, for
something which wasn't iso-8859-1).

The original problem had nothing to do with this, Hynek was running
into a hard limit of max listing level, and Fote has already raised
that limit in the fotemods code.

       Klaus

;
;