lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Lynx Question

From: Wood Bill
Subject: LYNX-DEV Lynx Question
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 00:18:35 -0400

Hi,

I am currently running Version 2.7.1.ac-0.20 of Lynx under Windows NT 4.0.

I am tyring to use Lynx to download binary files from the Internet from a
command prompt. Unfortunately, I only seem to be able download ASCII files
from a command prompt. This appears to be because the -dump command does
not support binary transfers. While I have been successful downloading
binary files from within Lynx, this doesn't solve my problem since I am
looking for a solution which can be executed from a command prompt (which
will be initiated from within a PERL program). The command sequence I have
been using looks like:

c:/lynx/lynx -cfg=c:/lynx/lynx.cfg -dump http://domainname.com/binary.file
> c:/output.file

which almost works.

I am not familiar with how to modify lynx.cfg, don't know how to use ZModem
or Kermit and don't understand what packet drivers are. (These are various
terms that have cropped up on my search for a solution.)

The solution I am looking for must be http compliant since the binary files
I am attempting to download are created in response to an http request.
(FTP wouldn't work...) I am not committed to using Lynx for this if there
is a better/easier way...

Any thoughts or advice would be most appreciated.

Cheers!

Bill Wood
www.billwood.com

;