lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV where do I patch the source to fix this "feature"?

From: William Yang
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV where do I patch the source to fix this "feature"?
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 97 14:54:56 EDT

Eli's redistribution point wrote something like:

> Lynx, for reasons I disagree with, has a feature of special
> handling of <p> in lists:

[...]

> Where can I patch the source to fix this? Specifically, I want blank
> lines between paragraphs always. (Are there any other related "features"
> I haven't yet noticed?)

It complies with the HTML 3.2 suggested standard (don't know about
4.0, but that's certainly acceptable behavior with 3.2).  By careful
reading of that standard, it's possible to set up a document that will
do what you want both in Lynx and in graphical browsers.  I tested
with Lynx 2.7.1f and Netscape 3.01 gold.

As I read the standard, the <P> behavior is really, essentially
changing.

$ ~/lynx2-7-1f/lynx -dump nbsp.html

   This is not in a list context.

   This is also not in a list.

     * This /is/ in a list context.
     * As is this.
       And this, too.
       Plus this.
     * This, on the other hand, does what you want.

       And this, too.

       Plus this.

   Out of list context.

   Still out.

-=-=-=

<ul>
<li> This /is/ in a list context.
<li> As is this.
<li> This, on the other hand, does what you want.
<BR> &nbsp; <BR> And this, too.
<BR> &nbsp; <BR> Plus this.
</ul>

--
William D Yang                          The Greater Columbus Free-Net
address@hidden          System Administration & Operation

;