lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Re:NSL_FORK problem

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re:NSL_FORK problem
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 10:11:38 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 13 Aug 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:

> "Hiram Lester, Jr." <address@hidden> wrote:

> >> How do you *prevent* it from guessing in such a case?
> >
> >I wasn't trying to keep it from guessing.  The reason I mentioned guessing
> >is that I know that guessing isn't interruptable.  I've always been able
> >to interrupt it in the very first stage before it begins guessing in
> >earnest, and now I don't see to be able to do so.  I thought that maybe
> >some of the recent mods could have broken something.  The only mod I see
> >that would seem vaguely related would be the 8/5 mods of the NSL_FORK
> >code, but I wouldn't think that would cause a problem... sigh...
>
>       You can't block the first guess in LYUtils.c.  Your 'z'ap will be
> detected when that gethostbyname() call times out, and similarly for any
> subsequent guesses.  If the gethostbyname() call succeeds, the 'z'ap will
> be detected in HTTCP.c, and that was changed to re-issue an un-'z'appable
> gethostbyname() call if some ill-understood foul up occurs in the child of
> the 'z'appable fork.  Perhaps some funny interaction is occurring due
> to that change, but it seemed to all work OK when I tried it on Scott's
> SPARC and an osf guest account I got recently.

One suggestion to Hiram: make sure you are comparing the behavior under
the same conditions.  Depending on what (presumed) hostname you typed in,
the first lookup may be very fast or very slow, and that may depend on the
name servers involved, whether they have cached a negative result etc.
(Installed a new BIND recently?)  If the first lookup returns nearly
immediately, you may just not be quick enough with your 'z' before the
'guessing...' starts.

       Klaus

;
;