lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV SOCKS firewall

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV SOCKS firewall
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 05:55:38 -0400 (EDT)

> > Problem: is there an equivalent setting in the lynx.cfg file, maybe
> > somewhere under the following section:
> >
> >      #http_proxy:http://some.server.dom:port/
>
> That's because SOCKS is a completely different form of proxy and requires
> Lynx to be built against a special library.  I don't know where one gets that
> from for Windows, but, if your site is using SOCKS, it means they are probably
there's a site (which you can find with a web-search) that has some betas
of socks5; I looked it up to integrate a configure option for another
program.

> Unix based, so it may be possible to get a shell, or captive Lynx, account
> on one of the Unix machines, and benefit from a. probably, more stable
> version of Lynx.
>
> The only problem is where does one get a TERMCAP/TERMINFO entry that describes
> Windows telnet.  VT100 doesn't do it adequataley!
you have to trim away the parts that windoze's telnet doesn't understand.
this is an faq - it's basically a plain VT100 with a few bugs.  VT102
(as opposed to VT100) has hardware insert/delete line.  So you remove the
capabilities that refer to those - and then look for the remaining problems
(not having that configuration, I see reports that there's extra problems,
but cannot myself debug it).

> (Note the Unix SOCKS Lynx is a completely different binary.  I don't know
> about the fine details of SOCKS or what is available to support it under
> Windows, to know how much work, and software cost is involved, but I suspect
> a Win32 SOCKS Lynx would require a significant amount of the original
> porting effort.)
it's a wrapper around most of the stream calls (including fprintf), which
might carry secure data.  little to do except plaster the header up front,
build the application (and find some way to test ;-)

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden