lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Is this the cost of doing the web?

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Is this the cost of doing the web?
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 05:37:23 -0400 (EDT)

> >Is lynx just going to continue growing like this?
>
>       Almost certainly it will, as practically all software does;
> there's little or no pressure to *remove* features, but there's plenty
> to add them.  And what features get removed?
>
>       On the other hand, debugging info takes a lot of space; 1.2Mb
> on my Linux system.  Perhaps strip on Solaris has a command-line
> argument to make it remove only part of the debugging info, leaving
> enough to get a stack trace from a core dump.
the default compiler options already do that.  we're picking up the -g
because someone decided (in the autoconf tool ;-) that everyone should
have -g for gcc unless it's overridden.  (I consider it a nuisance, myself,
since no one seriously will _ever_ install production code with -g).  However,
filtering it out of the CFLAGS is also a nuisance.  (I've done it on some
packages, probably should do it for Lynx as well).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden