lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Bad HTML Will o' the Wisp

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Bad HTML Will o' the Wisp
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 00:02:53 -0500 (EST)

Al Gilman <address@hidden>
>Susan Bredesen also got the "Bad HTML" warning running 2.7.1 on VMS.
>I don't get it running 2.7 on SunOS.  I grepped the trace she sent
>for Alert and the only hits were where I had used the word in my
>HTML.

        It's not related to the platform, i.e., it's the version.

>What I can't guess from these data is whether this has to do with
>bad HTML that hits the 2.7.1 parser differently from the 2.7 parser,
>or whether it has to do with some VMS-specific code.  As Susan said,
>when she ran it in trace mode there was no warning, so I am not sure
>the trace she sent me will tell us anything.
>
>There is known bad stuff in my page because I am sentimental
>enough to leave the unclosed list at the foot of the file in
>memory of how it all started as a bookmark file.

        When you put it in trace mode, the explanation goes to the
trace log (~/lynx.trace for the lucky folks using fotemods of development
code, and not stuck on an antique v2.7 :).  Here's what it says:

Read 13896 of 14236 bytes of data.
Data transfer complete
HTML:end_element: Popped style off stack - Normal
HTML: Something not closed before BODY close-tag
HTML:end_element: Popped style off stack - Normal
HTML: Something not closed before HTML close-tag

        The "something" is your missing list end tag.  You don't have
a body or html end tag, but they're being inferred because you have
html and body start tags at the top.  Get rid of those start tags,
so it won't infer their end tags and thus won't check if all the body
elements are closed, thus avoiding warnings about your bad html.

>But why the intermittency of the warnings I cannot fathom.

        When you've already gotten it, and had it rendered into an
HText structure, the 'g'oto is getting that rendition from cache.
If want to keep getting warnings about your bad html, use reload
(^R) instead of 'g'oto, so you keep getting and rendering a new
stream from your server.

                                Fote