lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV lynx-dev list status/problems

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx-dev list status/problems
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 10:32:07 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 14 Jul 1997, Al Gilman wrote:

> to follow up on what Philip Webb said:
> >
> > as usual, i'll speak up for keeping lynx-dev central & open for discussions.
> > i for one am quite happy to learn more about the mechanics of list
> > management
> > & (who knows?) lynx-plebs may have some useful suggestions for list-elves.
> >

> So far I count votes
>
>       keep it on lynx-dev             2
>       take it offline                 0
>
> Barring further comment 2:0 meets my criteria for a rough consensus and
> we can barrel ahead here.
>
> I know that many of you lynx-mavens have much to teach this would-
> be elf.  My mental state is back with Listproc at Kansas.  Does
> anyone know if open-posting is one of the standard configuration
> options for Majordomo,

I don't understand why you ask the question - it has been the
configuration of the list for a long time before the change (in June?).

> or if we are going to have to hack
> something to get that?
>
> Other topics where I could use a tutorial:  compare and contrast
> the filtering capability native to MajorDomo with the capability
> of Procmail recipes.  (what you can do -- user perspective).

This looks like becoming a long-drawn discussion with a lot of technical
detail.  I don't understand why it has to be like that (but then I don't
know MajorDomo).  However, for the duration of this discussion:

Could the policy be set back to open-posting?  That was the status quo
befor the June change.

Cost: some spams and some other unwanted messages (autoposts) may get
through during this time.

Benefit: relevant messages from newcomers, who are not aware of any
subscribers-only policy, (and who may have seen the previously-valid
"You need not be subscribed...") will get through, instead of getting no
response at all.

   Klaus

;
;