lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Re: Change to support SSLeay-0.8.0

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: Change to support SSLeay-0.8.0
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 1997 21:22:54 -0500 (EST)

Emil Sit <address@hidden> wrote to me:
>>      The libwwwFM code is derived from the CERN v2.14 libwww, but it
>> has 5 years of further development since that.  I'm not sure what you
>> mean by "accept some new MIME-types".  You use the mappings via lynx.cfg,
>> src/HTInit.c, and the global and personal mime.types and mailcap files
>> for handling any MIME type versus forcing a download offer.  The libwwwFM
>> modules are just slaves to the src/... modules and configuration files in
>> that respect.
>
>Well, I'd like to know how to write a Converter or Presenter. It's
>not really clear to me how to say, add a presenter for
>application/x-x509-ca-cert. I'd want to be able to present some HTML
>text and then process some user-input. [The user-input could
>probably be handled via LYNXCERT urls, in some fashion.]
>
>(Basically, I'd like to avoid spending two or three days completely
>tracing through libwww internals if you could spend a few minutes explaining
>at least the basics to me. Should I just redirect to address@hidden)

        I'm CCing this to lynx-dev.

        A presenter normally is an external program which handles the
presentation of the object on Lynx's behalf.  Lynx creates a temporary
file with the body of the object that was received as a stream, and
passes it as an argument to the program.  You can hardwire presenter
mappings in src/HTInit.c, or use a VIEWER: mapping in lynx.cfg if it's
not hardwired in src/HTInit.c, or use the global or a personal mailcap
file to override the latter.

        It sounds as though what you want to set up is a converter,
although this is one of those catch-22s in which if you don't already
know the answer, it's difficult to ask the question interpretably.  It
appears that you want to convert a stream with Content-Type
application/x-x509-ca-cert into a stream that is handled by a function
or set of functions within the Lynx code.

        Your best bet is to look at the HTSetConversion() entries in
src/HTInit.c and see if any of them are reasonable models for what
you want to do.  The handling of gzipped or Unix compressed streams
may be a good model.  There the body of the input stream is saved to
a temporary file, then internal functions are used to do whatever is
appropriate.  Your internal function could create a menu with options
encoded as LYNXCERT URLs that act on the temporary file.  It's hard
for me to be more specific than that, because the catch-22 prevents
you from asking the question(s) specifically enough.  So there may
be no shortcut around delving into the Lynx internals yourself.

                                Fote